Greek government of George Papandreou (which is characterized as collaborator by Greek people and is the most hated person) from the first day who elected tried to say that public debt reached this levels because the generous welfare state. This was a big lie aiming at Greeks so that accept the chemotherapy of IMF and EU without social reactions.
At the contrary, we tried to show that Greek debt, at lest at its biggest share, was made by the ruling class and not by the people who suffer now by the austerity measures imposed by IMF and EU.
Especially, Greek debt and high budget deficit was made by:
All these arguments I believe that give us a solid ground for an counter-attack, for a cause that try to stop this attack against our social and political rights.
In Greece we say “we don’t owe, we don’t pay” like you, but we add something more: “we don’t sell”. Because in Greece is in the process the biggest privatization plan in the whole Europe.
Especially we demand no to pay the public debt for 8 reasons. We ask no to pay because:
- Greek debt is by most product of corruption. I can say you some examples: Till now none knows the real cost of Olympic Games of 2004. We paid for security system (the called C4I) 1,2 bn of euros in spite of the fact that we never received it.
- Since decade of 90’s when Spanish, Irish, Portuguese, Italians and Greeks wanted to borrow money to fund their needs, markets where giving us money at an interest rate of 2, 3, even 4 times more of the interest rate they were lending to Germany or USA. The official excuse for this blackmail for this speculation was that these countries had a very big risk of default. Now we say came the time to pay the cost for these high yields. In essence there will be no cost as they have been paid for this risk in the form of high interest rates.
- As we saw from the audit report from Ireland a very big part of these bonds have been bought by hedge funds and speculators. The same has been happened with Greek debt. Recent analysis of NYT was saying that one third of greek bonds since the July accord that was signed during the EU summit has been bought by speculators. So there is no moral obligation to respect this debt.
- By large part this debt is on the hands of banks that have been bailed out by Greek people. The first rescue loan was 110 bn euro but till now the Greek banks have taken from government 108 bn of euro either in the form of guarantees either in cash. But these banks, the Greek banks, which are still alive because of the money of Greek people, own 30-40% of debt. For this reason we demand the nationalization of Greek banks as a means to the abolition or reduction of debt.
- We demand not to pay this debt because is unacceptable during the 21st century the banks to impose to a people genocide as a punishment for being paid back. In Greece now happens a social genocide. During a year will close 1.054 schools. I must tell you that never before since the formation of Greek state 1820’s closed a school. Only during the Nazi occupation closed again schools in Greece. Now close too 54 hospitals and decades off university departments. Even hundreds of youth people leave every month Greece to go to work in UK, USA, Australia and Canada like what was happening in the first after-war period. This is the nowadays Greek tragedy.
- We demand no to pay this debt because we have paid it again and again. In Greece and I believe in the most countries of the north hemisphere when a lender go to court saying that I have paid 130% or 150% of my debt to the bank then the court will abandon the rest of hiss debt. Just the same we demand for the sovereign debt.
- We ask not to pay back the first loan of Troika, of 110 bn. of euros (from which till now have been paid only 65) because the accord has not been voted by the Greek parliament, as had to be done according to the constitution. The government of Papandreou didn’t asked vote of the parliament because knew that hadn’t the increased majority as it is demanded by the constitution. This accord has no legitimacy so we have no obligation to give the money back.
- We believe that we must not pay this debt because has been proved that the biggest increase of public debt has been occurred during our rescue. At October of 2009 when the socialdemocratic government of PASOK was elected and took the decision to lead Greece to mechanism of IMF and EU, public debt was 115% of GDP. The next year, at 2012 public debt will reach 189% of GDP, according to estimates of IMF which published 2 weeks ago. Our own result is that the high level of debt was a very good excuse for impose the bloodiest program of austerity the biggest program of redistribution of social wealth after the Second World War.
How can we reach our goal: no to pay the public debt or to pay a very little share?
The most simple, teaching to the people and compatible to the national and international law way we have to achieve this aim is to form an audit committee.
Just this we did in Athens, clarifying from the first moment that we don’t ask an investigative committee of the parliament. At this moment we have formed a peoples’ citizen audit with the participation of hundreds of ordinary people, economists and lawyers for proving to the people, thee Press and the political system that this debt must not be paid. In this direction we formed at first nearly 20 working groups to examine sides of the public debt. We believe that soon we will have the first results.
Why we say no to the rescheduling of the debt that is proceed by Germany:
- It is accompanied by new austerity measures and privatization plans
- It is accompanied by the term of formatting Greece to a huge Special Economic Zone where German firms will not pay taxes, and where working laws will have no valid, like the maquiladoras on Guatemala, The Honduras and Mexico.
- The new bonds will not be issued by the Greek law, like the current, but by the international law.
- I know very well that our struggle likes a drop in the Mediterranean. But I know very well too that the darkest moment of the day is just a few minutes before thee dawn.